Rides and Announcements

Check this page for ride reports and other announcements.  If you have photos or videos you would like posted as part of a ride report just email them to Bob Brown.  He will try to include as many as possible in each ride report. 

Go To Google+ For Latest News

posted Jan 21, 2013, 8:24 AM by Bob Brown III

We've found Google+ to be a much more dynamic environment for our ongoing recumbent discussions and for sharing ride reports, videos, and photos.  Please join us there by obtaining a free Google account.  If you have any questions or need assistance you can email us by clicking on the email link in the right top sidebar on this page or by calling 1-786-307-5986.  We have a Google+ community called "The Bent Society of South Florida" and we will also help you become part of our "Bent Society" circle. 

If you want to learn more about Google+ you can learn more here. Please watch it if you aren't familiar with Google+. 

Cat Herding Recumbents

posted Jun 17, 2012, 1:40 PM by Bob Brown III   [ updated Jun 17, 2012, 1:52 PM ]

We had a great ride today in spite of a rather discombobulated start.  Some of us at Boynton Inlet and some at Lake Worth but we all ended up together and headed north through the back streets of Lake Worth.  We crossed over to the island on the Southern Boulevard Bridge and rode on using our usual route up to the inlet.  Stops at the clock, the inlet, the gas station and then a fast ride south with the wind at our back.  I'll post my GPS data after this.

Carl started out with us.  He's still recovering from a bug and said he was riding poorly.  Well, poorly for Carl is faster than the rest of us feeling good. Funny, he was still so far out in front that I only saw him when he turned around to head back.  He was wisely not pushing it because of the bug.  Good to see you Carl.

Steve was on his new Rans with the 700 wheels.  Sleek looking bike Steve.  You sure seemed fast on it.  

I shot a few photos at the inlet.  Everyone seemed in a good mood except Bill who had broken the clip on one of his shoes and was having to ride in a one and a half piston mode instead of two.  I don't know how he did it but he was still able to ride faster than me.

Great ride all.  More photos below.

Scary Monsters by Russ

posted Nov 5, 2011, 7:35 PM by Bob Brown III   [ updated Nov 5, 2011, 7:54 PM ]

YouTube Video

The only thing scarier than seeing Carl at 7 on a dark, late October morning is seeing him framed by sideways palm trees from the 25 mph winds. That’s enough to make any rider cringe. 

There were more than a few “what are we doing here” comments Sunday morning (well, not much more than a few; there were only 5 of us!). But hey, it’s not a job, it’s an adventure so away we went into the teeth of the booming gale (that’s a literary reference; Google it!). The thing is, adventures are usually very disagreeable things to those having them; only afterwords do they brag about them.

The first gut check that Carl, Bill, Bob and I had was turning North onto A1A from a complete stop coming out of Boynton Inlet Park. A little less gearing would have helped (help Granny, help!). We continued onward towards Lake Worth fighting the wind. Wind is a two or three edged sword. From the front it’s a constant struggle, from the rear a constant delight; but when you’re riding between high-rises on the beach in a 25-30 mph wind it comes at you from 4 different directions in the space of a few seconds. One second it blows you halfway across the road, the next it beats you back, then pushes you along all before then blowing you back to the other side of the road where you started from. It’s definitely not for the faint of heart.

At Lake Worth we met Mark. That’s all, just Mark. Poor ol’ cold, lonely Mark sitting by himself on a bench with his back to the wind, surrounded by ...absolutely no one except a surfer coming up from the beach. No DF’ers except for 1 or 2 brave souls with more brass then brains. Hmm, that could describe us as well...

The ride up the beach was awe inspiring. The power of the waves, the ferocity of the wind, the spray all over our glasses... Mark & Carl teamed up and took off together, their red tailights blinking as they receded in the distance. One day, guys... you will have company!

We stopped at the Sunoco station to catch our breath and make pit stops. This is a full-service station in the heart of Palm Beach mind you. It got me wondering, so I strolled over to the pumps to see just how proud they were of that full service. Pretty proud; the Hi-Test gasoline was $ 5.04/gallon, the regular $ 4.79/gallon. Lamborghini, anyone?

We continued on to the inlet. We took a wrong turn into a cul-de-sac where I had to stop to adjust my bag, which was rubbing on the rear tire. Mark stopped with me. By the time we looked up everyone was gone. Mark & I made a circuit of the cul-de-sac and didn’t see anyone so we headed North again. Carl picked us up a couple of blocks away and we soldiered on. At the inlet, Bill and Bob were missing. Up they rode a minute later, refreshed and sedate since they’d decided to ride over and take the Lake trail up. No wind over there! Truly it is said that “old age and treachery will always defeat youth and strength”. Although with us I guess youth is a relative thing...

We spent a pleasant 20 minutes or so at the inlet watching a flats boat head towards the ocean and deciding that discretion was the better part of valor, and a kayaker saying “the hell with discretion, I’m going for the valor” as he paddled across the inlet.

And with that we all packed up and headed back. It was smooth sailing all the way at 21-23 mph with those tailwinds. Halfway between Lake Worth and Boynton my bike started getting a little squirrely. I chalked it up to the side winds and continued on. It got steadily worse and sure enough I looked down only to find a flat front tire. I stopped to remedy the problem and call ahead to let the others know what had happened. 5 minutes later Carl sauntered up and 2 minutes after that Mark arrived with the SAG wagon. The tube was changed and Carl & I continued on to Boynton. Then, just before the bridge over the inlet the front tire went flat again, this time all at once but without a “bang”. I almost lost it there, and with a car about to pass me to. I coasted back to the Boynton inlet and started to pack up. Then Mark discovered that he’d picked up a screw in one of his car tires. He just happens to carry a patch kit in his trunk but no electric pump. The tire was patched and Bob contributed his electric pump to the cause.

Afterwards a pleasant lunch/BS session ensued at TooJays over a delicious lunch where we spoke of many things, possibly including cabbages and kings (another literary reference. Man, I’m really full of it tonight!). And so ended another Bent Society ride.

Homestead Speedway Century

posted Oct 24, 2011, 2:42 PM by Bob Brown III   [ updated Oct 24, 2011, 8:24 PM ]

...and now for something a little different by Russ Griesemer

Well, as Monty Python would say, "...and now for something a little different...". No, wait, that's not right... Anyway, a ride was ridden today with some of the usual suspects but not in the usual place. The venue was the Everglades Bicycle Club's 2011 Speedway Century at Homestead Speedway and the riders were Bill, myself, George, Carlos, Les, John and John's friend Ira. Our bent contingent was pretty much dwarfed by the 300+ DF'ers that showed up for this organized ride, but we got nothing but encouragement from everyone we saw today.

I had spent the week working on my bike. I decided to recline the seat more, and that necessitated a head/neck rest which had to be designed, built and installed. I was still putting the finishing touches on it Saturday night. Sunday would be the first real ride with it. I know, I know... always test your work before taking it on an organized ride, right? I had tested it the day before on a short ride, and it was fine, so I figured I was pretty safe.

The ride started promptly at 7:30am as advertised. John and Ira had decided to do the 40 mile ride; the rest of us were in it for the metric. My first planned metric, actually. My initial goal was just to survive and finish. The ride started with a lap around the race track, which some did and some didn’t. The route took us well south into Everglades National Park before turning North and heading up to the old Chekika Park.

For those unfamiliar with the name, Chekika was a mineral/sulfur artesian spring that was discovered when drilling for oil back in the 40’s. The area was turned into a recreation site for swimming, picnicking, etc. People believed that the sulfur water had healing powers. In the 80’s the state capped the well because the sulfur was polluting the water downstream, and installed pumps to drain the lake and pump clean fresh water into it. It’s now open for visitors during daylight hours only.

I’m glad this ride was in the fall. If done in mid-summer the heat would have been unbearable. As it was it was cool enough that we never really broke a serious sweat. We bucked fairly serious headwinds heading North to Chekika but with 4 of us riding in a pace line we were able to make good time. After a brief respite we hit the road for the return trip, which fortunately was with the wind most of the way. The return trip was uneventful and quick owing to the tailwind. The last 5 miles though, the wind hauled around and started blowing from the East, and that just bonked me. I made it back to the Speedway but was down to 12 mph by the end and lucky to be making that. Everyone congratulated each other for arriving alive, and we made our ways home.

Several images stick in my mind from today. At a rest stop in a nursery/garden/orchid grower/ ?? (George will probably know what I’m talking about) on the way to Chekika, a gated off area with cages of parrots & macaws and a beautiful, friendly tortoise shell cat. In the same place, the biggest ponytail palm I have ever seen in my life. Bill said it had to be almost 100 years old!

Buzzards! Roosting in the trees along the route, and hundreds circling above the route. Made you a little uneasy about the prospect of a flat to say the least.

Watching a car down the road going my direction and suddenly realizing there was a small animal running after it. The car slowed down, a door opened and the animal (dog? really couldn’t tell) jumped in. It just seemed a little bit surreal at the time.

The biggest, nastiest rumble strips I have ever run across, leading up to a bridge just before a left turn. They were so big I lost my taillight and had to go back for it. Nearly rattled my fillings out.

We have some STRONG riders down in South Dade! Les is like the Eveready bunny; he just keeps going and going and going... George pulled ahead near the end and started accelerating; if I’d had a gun...

All in all it was a great ride. I’m sore but content that I can finish a metric in a respectable fashion. Carl, you may have some company in the future!

..and now for something completely different by Les Garcia

The 9th annual Homestead Speedway Century was held on Sunday. The ride started with a loop in the Homestead Speedway then we rode through farm country with a rest-stop in the Everglades.

Bacchetta was well represented by the The Bent Society of South Florida. George, Russ and Les rode their red Bacchettas and Bill rode his polished aluminum Corsa. Carlos also joined us on his white Rans.

We rode the 100 Km course as a group and attracted lots of attention and questions about our Bents.

Video: http://www.flickr.com/photos/69087571@N08/?saved=1

It's Cool. Let's Ride.

posted Oct 20, 2011, 4:08 PM by Bob Brown III   [ updated Oct 21, 2011, 6:34 AM ]

Thursday, October 20, 2011
.  Instead of the usual 80 degree temps with 90 percent humidity this day dawned in the upper 60's with low humidity.  After three days of torrential rains and overcast skies it was time to ride.

Carl and Ginny started at the Boynton Ocean Inlet Park and rode north to Lake Worth Beach where I joined them.  The cool air and low humidities inspired us to pick up the pace and enjoy the cool air. 

I had a flat on the beach stretch just after the Southern Boulevard traffic circle. As luck would have it the flat was on the front and the tube was changed out quickly with help from Carl as Ginny observed and offered encouragement.  A shot of CO2 and all was well.

We took a break at the clock tower on Palm Beach as is the bent tradition and then cruised on northward. This part of the ride became a challenge.  Roads were blocked, landscapers were everywhere trimming trees, and it seemed that every curve had some kind of road maintenance going on. 

We ended up following a truck carrying huge palm trees as we all detoured around some disruption. Finally arriving at the inlet we were rewarded with an island freighter entering the Port of Palm Beach followed by the pilot boat.

We left the inlet and negotiated as few of the road projects as possible and after the traditional "gas station" stop we headed for home.  A nice northerly breeze and the cool weather allowed us to hold a 20 mph pace for much of the way.  Carl and Ginny sprinted for Lake Worth Beach after Sloan's Curve leaving me to plod along at 18 mph.  I really didn't mind because it was such a beautiful day and they were having fun.  Ginny is becoming a really fast rider and the Hammer is....well, the Hammer.

After a brief stop to talk with Carl and Ginny who were kind enough to wait for the old man I peeled off to climb the Lake Worth Bridge and then home. Imagine my surprise when a yellow shirted recumbent rider pulled up to a side street stop sign in front of me.  Yoric!  He had to attend a meeting and could not make our ride but he and I had a nice chat before he rode on to do his loop and I rode home.  What a great day.

Ride Report by Russ 10/16/2011

posted Oct 17, 2011, 10:21 AM by Bob Brown III   [ updated Oct 18, 2011, 12:17 PM ]

Bill & I arrived at Boynton early, and found our parking spaces already taken over by the DF squad. They really gave us the evil eye as we rolled through the lot with our 'bents proudly on top of the car. Hey, deal with it; you're gonna be seeing a lot more of us! Anyway, the lot down by the inlet has actual trees and shade, which comes in handy for after the ride, as well as covered seating with picnic tables and easy bathroom access. That's always a thumbs up for the Hammer!

October 15, 2011 Video by The Hammer

Leaving Boynton we had myself, Bill, Ginny, Jim and Mark who was finally back from vacation and on his new (to him) Ti Aero; and believe me, he was even faster than usual today. Turning on to the road North the full force of the 15 knot wind hit us in the face; this was gonna be challenging. The ride to Lake Worth gave us time to get used to the zephyrs gently wafting through the air, and we met up with Carl, Yoric, Ted, Larry, John and Bob (I can't shake the feeling that I'm forgetting people; I remember Ted saying we had 13 but for the life of me I can only account for 11. My apologies if I forgot anyone!). For some reason, I don't think Larry will be bringing out his Hace on windy days anymore.

John had inadvertently dropped his radio on the mainland side of the Lake Worth Bridge and hot footed it back over to look for it. The rest of us headed out for the inlet, braving the breezes on the way. A breaka
way group of riders lit out after some DF's that had the effrontery to pass us and we all met at the clock tower on the beach. After the pause that refreshes we continued on to the inlet. Getting close to the inlet, Bob was leading a group of 4 of us and after some banter I told him "If you're gonna pull then pull!". Half a mile later when I finally caught up with him I silently vowed to never give a septuagenarian an even chance again!

After regrouping at the inlet we headed to the gas station for our standard pit stop. We left the gas station and headed back to the beach where the tailwind really let us crank it up. It's nice to cruise at 22-23 with only as much effort as you would for 15-16! After a fast run back to Lake Worth it was on to Boynton, then load the bikes up and head back to Too Jays for a little R&R and food. The always political but not always PC Wayne took a break from his Occupy Bryant Park gig to have lunch with us, bringing his picket sign with him. And so ended another successful Bent Society ride.

Show Notes for TBS 10-15-2011 ride.

Here are the websites I listed in this weeks video.

Bacchetta Recumbents: http://www.bacchettabikes.com/

Zipp wheels: http://zipp.com/wheels/404-clincher/

Rotor Cranks:  http://www.rotorbikeusa.com/products/RS4x_cranks.html

Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant: http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/lubricants.html

Where to buy Dupont Teflon Lube: Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd_213197-39963-D00110101_?PL=1&productId=1059839  Home Depot doesn't list it on their website.

Yokozuna Reaction Cable System: http://store.yokozunausa.com/recasy1.html

Angle Tech Aero Bag: http://www.angletechcycles.com/notsausage/angletech_AeroPod.htm


MTM1 Video by Carl Kidd

posted Oct 3, 2011, 6:43 PM by Bob Brown III

Our very own video crew Carl shot, edited, and produced this great video of our first "Meet in the Middle" ride with a tiny key fob cam that he held while riding.  The video really captures the friendly atmosphere of the ride.

YouTube Video

First "Meet in the Middle" ride by Russ

posted Oct 3, 2011, 6:37 PM by Bob Brown III

19 riders. Did I mention that we had 19 riders? Just wanted to make sure I mentioned that we had 19 ACTUAL RIDERS!! October 1, 2011, a day which will live in infamy...wait, wrong era... Well, it's a day that will live on in our hearts and minds as one of our best rides ever. Just take a look at the photo Jim snapped at the beginning of the ride. Fantastic!

People started arriving at The Cove at 7 am and they just kept on coming. We had some new riders no one had met before that we didn't know were going to show up, other riders that we knew from previous SFRR rides, and many more from the Bent Society. How awesome was it to see Phil and his lovely wife on a tandem bent and Michael and his wife on matching Tour Easy's ? More couples please! And more women thanks to Nan, Shari and Ana. Unfortunately Ginny had a migraine this morning and couldn't make it. Next time Ginny! I'll leave it for someone else to post a complete head count and names, but we were a mighty dangerous looking outfit by the time we rode out at 8:15 am.

Of course, the first thing that happened was Bob having a blowout on the Hillsboro bridge and falling on the grating. Fortunately he was fine except for a little "grate rash" on an elbow. We can't take you anywhere can we Bob? Just rub some Boeshield on it and get back on that horse. Anyway the tube was changed and we soldiered on.

The first rest stop was at Anchor Park in Delray, where we attracted a lot of attention from the general populace. Then it was on to Ocean Ridge Hammock Park for the turn-around where we got kicked out of the main pavilion by an angry shopkeeper who had probably spent the night before on the couch. Nan stuck up for us bent riders and gave the guy an earful; you go girl! Dean promised to follow up with the Boynton PD to see if there was any truth to what he was saying about bikes not being allowed in the main area. Looking forward to hearing about that Dean.

Back on the road to our last stop at Spanish River Park. Some riders from the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team In Training of which Shari is a proud member struck up a conversation with us while admiring our bikes. Hey, I'll take converts any way I can get them. Then it was up-and-at-'em again for the last leg back in to Deerfield where our cars awaited in some most welcome shade for a change! Lunch at The Cove was delightful and the converstion and fellowship was well worth the price. To those who missed the ride and/or the lunch afterword all I can say is "better luck next time"! You missed out on a truly great event.

At this point kudos and appreciation must be given to Bill Barrere for coming up with this idea and "herding the cats" to ensure a fantastic time was had by all. Thanks Bill for all your hard work!! And let's make this a permanent addition to our ride schedule!

First "Meet in the Middle" Ride by Bill Barerre

posted Oct 3, 2011, 6:24 PM by Bob Brown III   [ updated Oct 3, 2011, 6:37 PM ]

In the photo below, from the left, are the 20 names of yesterday's MITM riders. Thanks John, for the fine photos.

Phil & Han, Ken, Shari, Jim, George, Nan, Carl, Ana, Ted, Mike, Russ, Janice, Bob, Wayne, Larry, Todd, and Bill. Not in this photo are Dean and James, he shot it.

We had riders participate from as far south as So Dade and north from Jupiter. Of our A1A Palm Beach Bent Cruise riders, we are sorry the 9 of you couldn't make the ride. Ginny, Yoric, Mark, Larry S, Bob R, Diane, Les, Carlos, and John R.

For the last 12 months, from the 28 riders above we have ridden 52 straight weekends and we are getting 13 to 15 riders out on Sat. The weather is now getting cooler and this average will increase.

There are a number of others that have ridden with us over the past few years, would be great to see you all at one of our A1A rides or the next MITM Ride. Sergio, Cat Steve, Josh, David, Joanne, Bob P, David J, Rick N, Bob Em, John C, Ken EZ, Jose...........

Our next MITM Ride will repeat every 5 weeks. To complete the 2011year of rides, the next two are set for Sat Nov 12 and Sat Dec 17. We have changed our weekend Sat ride to Sunday a couple of times. We could also set a MITM Ride for a Sunday if it would help some folks to join us.

If we have all of our BB Cruise and a good number of the other So Fl riders, the count of bents could be 30 to 40. That would be impressive and great fun.

Ride Report by Russ - Videos by Bill and Bob

posted Sep 25, 2011, 10:37 AM by Bob Brown III   [ updated Nov 22, 2011, 1:25 PM ]

The Bent Society was out in force again today. We want to wish Yoric well with his plumbing problem and hope he didn't flood the yard too bad...and the plumbers left his wallet intact! How was the wedding Carl? In other headline news, a valiant attempt at organization was attempted this morning, but that ended up being another case of trying to herd cats... we did manage to cut our break times down to a more reasonable level, and some people practiced their "loop and regroup" skills, so some progress was made. First we crawl, then we walk... We want to take this time to welcome John, a new rider to the group. John acquitted himself very well today, and we hope to see him at many more rides. We should know more soon. An opportunity presented itself

YouTube Video

for a great photo-op, but the camera malfunctioned and we had our riding shoes (and sandals) on, so it was onward again. Today was real chamber-of -commerce weather, blue skies, light winds and the ocean was dead calm. Hope it's that good for our Meet In The Middle ride next week. As usual, TooJays provided the fantastic eats at the end of another fantastic ride. And that's all, folks...

Vimeo video

1-10 of 20